My Personal blended approach
- Static palpation: What is the most tender muscle in the subluxation complex? What is its origin, insertion and action? What are the most tender in the body? Prioritize those.
- How do I slacken that? Motion palpation to find restrictive barrier(s). Move away from the barrier of greatest resistance (exactly opposite what would be your line of drive)
- Fold it into slack until non-tender for 90 seconds to reset.
- Augment with reciprocal inhibition techniques where desired or needed for a shorter duration hold or a better outcome.
Practice thinking in terms of Anatomy and Kinesiology
Learn to think like this with all muscles:
- What muscle is T.A.R.T (Taut, Assymetrical, Restricted, Tender) under my finger?
- Where are this muscle’s Origin and Insertion points?
- How can I collapse it into itself?
- Do this and memorization of tender point releases becomes less important, and/or easier to memorize because it makes sense.